Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Doc Receives Investment Advice at a Ball Game

Well, tonight was painful. The only thing worse than watching your team lose in the playoffs is watching them lose to the Yankees.
On the plus side, I did get some investment advice from the average joe sitting next to me at the game.
The tip:
Verizon common stock.  "Stock never goes anywhere, but you get a steady 5% dividend, which is great!"
I mentioned that a 5% nominal return is a 6% annual loss when adjusted for inflation which is running around 11%/ year.
Blank stare.

"But there isn't anything that will give you an 11% return/ year!"

I whipped out my calculator (phone) and demonstrated how gold and silver have both returned over 500% since 2000...even with their recent significant corrections.

Blank stare.

Sigh....